Embroidery Reader displays PES embroidery files using 100% open source C# code.
The installer version is the easiest way to get it working, but it’s only for Windows right now. The installer can setup file associations so you can double click on PES files to open them. It also includes an uninstaller.
The zip version includes just the program files, and should work with any system that has an appropriate version of .Net or Mono installed.
Embroidery Reader downloads:
- Installer version
- Zip version
- GPL C# source code (if you don’t know what C# is, you don’t want this)
Webmasters: Please link to this page and not to the downloads directly. Thank you.
- You can check for updates within the program by clicking on Help, then Check for update from the menu.
- If there’s a feature you’d like added, please to use the contact form to tell me about it.
- Under Windows, Embroidery Reader requires the .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed in order to run.
- Under Linux and Mac, Embroidery Reader runs on Mono. (Most Linux distributions have Mono packages available in their repositories)
- It still needs a few tweaks to make all the graphical elements look right when running on Mono.
- I was able to run it on Xubuntu 8.04 by installing mono-runtime, libmono-microsoft8.0-cil and libmono-winforms2.0-cil. It can be run from a terminal by typing
mono embroideryReader.exe, or
mono embroideryReader.exe filename.pesto open a PES file.
- It will build on Ubuntu (and Mac, I assume) using Monodevelop. Thanks to Ryan Lovett for testing Embroidery Reader on Mac and also testing it with Monodevelop.
PES files are used to store designs for some embroidery machines. If you open one in a text editor like notepad, the first 4 characters will be #PES. The next 4 characters tell what version the file is.
As of version 1.3.0, the PES number doesn’t really matter. Embroidery Reader skips over all the PES classes and reads the PEC section at the end of the file.
For more information about the PES file format, see the documents at https://github.com/treveradams/libpes.